Ventrilo is widely used by gamers, who refer to it as Vent, and who use the software to communicate with other players on the same team of a multiplayer game. Ventrilo is chosen by gamers because:
1. It uses minimal CPU resources,
2. Communicating by voice gives a competitive advantage by allowing players to communicate more quickly than typing messages to one another
3. The ability to use a voice activated system allows messages to be passed without diverting the players' attention from the game interface
4. If the game crashes voice communication is maintained.GameSamba's Ventrilo Information:Hostname:
For your account to be set up please contact a GM in-game and request for an account to be created or send in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you choose to send in an email please include your desired name and password. The username will be displayed as your name in vent so we do not suggest using your GameSamba username but maybe your character name. Download Ventrilo Here:Windows 32bit - XP, Vista, Windows 7 (Version 3.0.8)Windows 64bit - All 64bit platforms (Version 3.0.8)Windows 9x/2000 - 95/98/ME and Windows 2000Mac OSX 10.4 or higher - 32bit (Version 3.0.13)
Once you have downloaded the appropriate client you can start the installer.
If for any reason the installer program gives you an error like (I/O error) or (CRC error) then this means that the installer program was corrupted during the download process. This is usually caused by using old web browsers when downloading the file or your browser is accessing the web through a proxy server. Unfortunately it's hard to say exactly which is the real culprit. Before downloading the file again you should flush your browsers cache to assure that a fresh copy is pulled down from the Ventrilo web site, and consider accessing the web without using a proxy.
Once the installation program is finished it will have accomplished several things:
1) All files will be installed into the specified location.
2) A folder called "Ventrilo" will be created in your Start / Programs menu.
3) Registry entries for "ventrilo://" web links have been created.
After the client program has been installed you can use these quick step-by-step instructions for getting the program configured and connected into a server. Before you begin you need to know several things before you can connect to a server.
1) The server's hostname or IP address. The person running the server should have this information.
2) The server's port number. Ventrilo server's and client's default to port number 3784 but if the server admin has changed the port number then you will need to tell the Ventrilo client to use the same port number when connecting to the server.
3) The server's case sensitive password (if a password is required).
Once you have these three pieces of information you can begin setting up the Ventrilo client. If you need more detailed help regarding any portion of Ventrilo you should click on the "Help" buttons for details regarding the window you are currently looking at.
If you already have the program installed and are having problems with it you should read the F.A.Q.'s page of this web site for possible problems and suggested solutions. When all else fails then go the support forum and ask for any possible solutions.
Now, lets do a quick setup.
1) Start the ventrilo program. Click on the Start button, click on Programs and then click on Ventrilo. This will display another menu option called Ventrilo that will start the actual program.
2) Click on the "->" button that is next to the first pulldown window called "User Name". This will open a new window where you can create a logon name to be used when connecting to a server.
3) Click the "New" button. This will open a small window where you can enter your logon name. The name you enter is entirely up to you. It can be your real name or a nick name.
4) Click the "OK" button. You can come back to this window and click on the help button later on if you want more detailed information about what the other options mean and how to use them.
5) Now that we are back to the main window click on the "->" button that is next to the pulldown window called "Server". This will open a new window where you can enter the details about the server you would like to connect to.
6) Click the "New" button. This will open a small window where you can enter a name that will describe the new server definition. The name can be anything you want it to be like: "My server" or "Joe's server". When entering a server name you don't need the quotes around it. These server names will show up in the main Ventrilo window.
7) Click "OK".
8) Click on the "Hostname or IP" input box and enter the server hostname or IP address given to you by the person hosting the server.
9) Click on the "Port number" input box and enter the servers port number. The program will automatically display the default port number of 3784 but you can change this to what ever the server needs it to be.
10) Click on the "Password" input box and enter the servers password as defined by the server administrator.
11) Click "OK" to return to the Ventrilo main window.
12) Click "Connect" to establish a connection between you and the server you just defined.
13) You should also click on the Setup button and configure all of the different options that control Ventrilo. This is very important when it comes to controlling the microphone or input source. Once in the Setup dialog click on the "Help" button. Be sure to read what all of the options are and what they mean. This is very important for the Voice page.
That's all there is to it. You can always add more server definitions and create new logon names at any time.